“The Changing Years A History of Depauville”

“The Changing Years A History of Depauville” was first researched, written, and printed in 1976 by members of the Depauville Bicentennial Committee wishing to celebrate the important milestone with a project that would be a legacy to future generations.

The material submitted far exceeded their expectations. In addition to strictly historical information, it included accounts of numerous heart-warming moments and human-interest incidents in the lives of Depauville residents, past and present.

The 1976 book was compiled from early records of churches and organizations, wills, deeds, obituaries, census records, and diaries. Old scrapbooks revealed a wealth of information and recollections of older Depauville residents provided tremendous help in regard to the history of local buildings.

In 2004, responding to continued interest and demand for the hamlet’s history and with copies of the 1976 book no longer available, “The Changing Years”, was reprinted. The original manuscript was kept unchanged but an addendum was added covering the years 1975 to 2000.

Copies of “The Changing Years A History of Depauville” can be purchased for $15. They are available at the Depauville Free Library, 32333 County Route 179, Depauville, NY 13632. For further ordering information please call 315-686-3299 or email, deplib@ncls.org.

Models of Depauville's Historic Buildings

           

Beautiful and finely detailed models of Depauville landmarks have been donated to the Community Center and are now on display at the Library.

Jan Debevic (born Janice Exford) has graciously donated models of the Methodist Church, the Old Stone School, and the MacFarlane Building. Over the years her friend, George Frank, a Methodist minister and railroad buff, skillfully constructed these buildings, as well as a model of Jan’s home in the hamlet. After the recent fire that destroyed the MacFarlane Building, Jan thought the models would be better kept here in Depauville and we are grateful for her generosity.

Generosity has also brought us a model of the Old Stone Church. Made on a larger scale, the model not only captures the outside of the church but accurately shows the building's interior. Viva Fauteux (born Viva Ward) grew up on Grindstone but lived for a time in the hamlet and has donated her replica of the landmark to the community. Since the church no longer holds services, it is an amazing time capsule of Depauville history and a wonderful gift to share.

Preserving Depauville History

Click on this image to see a slide show of the restoration process undertaken for the theater curtain and the signature quilt.

The large cotton canvas theater curtain, dating from the early 1900s, originally hung on the stage of the old Depauville Town Hall. Decorated with colorful advertising of area businesses, it is also referred to as an "advertising drape". The reverse side is inscribed and dated by many local performers who graced the Town Hall's stage. When the Town Hall was sold and the stage converted to cubby storage, the library inherited the curtain, where, for many years it lanquished, nailed to a wall, in a state of deterioration.  Placed in the storage shed for safe keeping when work to renovate the library began, the curtain luckily survived the library fire in 2007, and, through a grant from the Greater Hudson Heritage Network was restored by West Lake Conservators of Skaneateles, NY, the same group that repaired the 1903 Signature Quilt that now hangs in the library.

The quilt and theater curtain are cherished centerpieces of a collection of local history in the library that illustrate the rich and lively heritage of our community at the turn of the twentieth century.

1903 Signature Quilt on Display

This classic hand pieced and hand quilted signature quilt, made in Depauville in 1903, had been rolled and off display at the time of the September, 2007 fire that caused structural damage to the Depauville Free Library and destroyed all of the library's books.

Unfortunately the quilt did not escape the fire unscathed. It was burned and sustained smoke and water damage and mildew set in before the quilt received professional attention from West Lake Conservators, Ltd, of Skaneateles, NY.

The quilt now hangs in the Library, beautifully cleaned and the damage stabilized, but showing the scars it received in the fire. It consists of 25 full blocks, each approximately 13 inches square, and 5 half blocks. The pattern is an eight pointed star surrounded by 3 rows of sashing with a “nine patch” block at the intersections. The blocks are signed in permanent ink on the white fabric on the front.

Come in the Library and see how many familiar names you can find on the quilt.

Pages

Subscribe to Depauville Free Library RSS